Organización Latinoamericana’s statement of solidarity

As published Nov. 13, 2015.

We the Organización Latinoamericana of Simmons College stand in solidarity with the students of color from the University of Missouri and #ConcernedStudent1950 organizers who have sacrificed their safety to address racism.

We stand with the organizers and students of color at Mizzou in their time of struggle and want to extend our support to all students of color across campuses.

To the students of color at Mizzou, you are not alone. We stand with you, we feel with you, and we support you.

To Jonathan Butler for his devotion through his hunger strike and to the Black student members of the football team for refusing to play, we commend you. We thank you for your work and commitment to fighting racial injustice.

We are saddened by the happenings on the Mizzou campus, but their struggle has given us the courage to address the issues on our own campus.

As Simmons students, we must recognize that students of color at Simmons are not removed from systems of oppression. Those problems persist, and our administration has recognized the need to act.

As students of color, we hope for an administration that appreciates our needs and produces an environment conducive to thriving in higher education. Unfortunately, too often that has not been the case.

It is appalling to hear that first-year students of color have faced anxiety in clasrooms because of faculty and fellow student insensitivity to issues of race.

Beyond the first-year class, many of our seniors, juniors, and sophomores have put on a brave face during their time here at Simmons.

We believe a fair assessment of the racial climate on campus, one that includes the voices of students of color, is long overdue.

To the students of color at Simmons, we, the Organización Latinoamericana of Simmons College, will always stand with you in solidarity, fight for your concerns and issues, and provide you any support you need.

To the Black students at Mizzou, we, the Organización Latinoamericana of Simmons College, stand with you in solidarity. To those who would threaten their sense of safety, the world is watching.