Review: if “Good Luck, Babe!” doesn’t make you want to dance, listen again

In a spring defined by multitudes of new music releases, Chappell Roan has entered the chat.
via Rolling Stone

Riding the high from opening for Olivia Rodrigo’s Guts World Tour, Chappell Roan released the new single “Good Luck, Babe!” on April 5. 

Delightfully bright and cherry-red, the track winds through the increasingly catchy chorus that invites listeners to scream “You can kiss a hundred boys in bars/shoot another shot, try to stop the feeling.” The instrumentals mirror synth 80’s pop with bouncy keys and shiny drums. 

Roan’s vocals truly deliver and she shows her pipes, particularly in the last soaring chorus coaxing even the most cold-blooded emo (me) to sing along. She showcases her range throughout, particularly that of her higher register, bringing her vocal flair to the track.

The single feels like a perfect sun-soaked tease of summer and it’s easy to imagine hot summer nights spent kissing boys in bars while bouncing along to the beat.

Roan’s debut album “The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess” released in the fall of 2023 spurred her into the spotlight with incredibly dancey tracks “Red Wine Supernova” and “Femininominon” to name a couple. She is not slowing down and announced the single on Instagram calling it “the first song of the next chapter.”

At this point we can only hope this is leading to a new album from Roan at some point soon.  

Roan is about to kick off The Midwest Princess Tour which will include a performance at Boston Calling in May. You too can be a diva, all it takes is to dance along to this song.