Sunny songs for when you want to forget that it’s winter

Spring and summer in Boston are the most wonderful times of year. I love the warm days, flowers in the Boston Common, and sunning out in the quad. 

Unfortunately, to get there, we have to wade through false promises of snow, overcast skies, and the Emmanuel wind tunnel. 

I mark the transition between the seasons with the music I listen to. 

As we approach long days and nights you never want to end, here are some songs and why they remind me of  what waits for us on the other side. Go back to your dorm room and imagine the heater you can’t turn off is the hot sun while you listen.

Summer Pop

Cherry – Rina Sawayama

“Cherry” makes me wish I was screaming along in the car, preferably with an iced coffee in hand. 

F2F – SZA

During the warm months, this song was a staple for the days I spent at the river during the hottest months of the year. Alternating between sunbathing and plunging into cold water requires only the catchiest songs. The lyrics aren’t happy, but the song begs to be blasted through speakers.

Silk Chiffon (feat. Phoebe Bridgers) – MUNA, Phoebe Bridgers

If summer has a sound, it’s “Silk Chiffon.” It’s a lesbian staple, upbeat and celebratory. 

Be Sweet – Japanese Breakfast

Japanese Breakfast’s whimsical sophomore album, “Jubilee,” boasts a whole set of summery songs. “Be Sweet” is one of my personal favorites. The lightness of the instrumentals and frontwoman Michelle Zauner’s airy voice give the track a transitional feeling, like the period in between spring and summer. (Check out “Paprika” for a slower summer track!)

Pretending You’re On a Road Trip

Never Going Back Again – Fleetwood Mac

The peppy guitar of “Never Going Back Again” transports me to sun-dappled warm pavement. Historically, it’s been the “starting out” track on my road trips. The lyrics might be simple but I think that adds to the appeal. 

Silver Springs – Fleetwood Mac

I’ll say it: Fleetwood Mac has the perfect discography for a summer roadtrip. “Silver Springs” reminds me of driving down a sunny forest road. 

Silver Lining – Mt. Joy

The gravelly voice of vocalist Matt Quinn and the sparse instrumentals make this song a mournful powerhouse. 

Jacky Onassis – Sammy Rae & the Friends

“Jacky Onassis” is a groovy song full of warm weather cheer. If you want to pretend you’re singing in a car with the windows rolled down, I can’t think of a better song. 

Oddly Nostalgic

Put Your Records On – Corinne Bailey Rae

If you want to feel nostalgic, this 2006 track is perfect. 

Soak Up the Sun – Sheryl Crow

Yet another throwback from my childhood! Sheryl Crow reminds us to not try too hard in this track. I listen to this song when I need to forget all my troubles in life. 

I’m like a Bird – Nelly Furtado

It also falls under the niche category of “songs that would play at pivotal points in a 2000s teen show.”

High and Dry – Radiohead

Honestly? See above. 

Summer Nights

Operator (That’s not the Way it Feels) – Jim Croce 

The best part of warm weather is the long days that turn into longer nights. “Operator” reminds me of sitting in my backyard and reading a book in the dwindling light. As dusk approaches, grab a blanket, a book, and a slower song like this one to close up the day. 

Saturdays (feat. HAIM) – Twin Shadows, HAIM

It’s a wistful tune, one that feels like golden hour.

Don’t Delete the Kisses – Wolf Alice

I love a good love song, and I love the warped, ethereal sound of “Don’t Delete the Kisses.”

Golden Years – David Bowie

It’s not a complete playlist without Bowie. The optimistic lyrics of this song remind us all to keep looking forward. 

We may be a few months away from proper warm weather but it’s never too early to listen to sunny music. If you’re having a tough time with the cold weather, put on some of these songs and just remember it’ll be spring before we know it.