iPhone 8 rumors surface technology world

By Shen Gao

This year marks the 10th birthday of the iPhone, and reportedly Apple will make the anniversary edition of the smartphone extra special. There are many rumors out on the market right now, and below are just a few.

According to Fast Company, a business magazine focusing on technology, business, and design, the next iPhone could be called either the iPhone 8 or the iPhone X, and will be priced at over $1000. The reason for the high price may be due to the fact that the iPhone will include an OLED display that will cost twice as much as an LCD to make.

iphone8-concept
Source: Behance.net/Moe Slam

Another rumor consists of a type of facial recognition software. According to research from Cowen and Company, an investment banking firm, and published by Business Insider, this software will include a laser sensor and an infrared sensor. It could make sense that the next iPhone feature includes facial recognition as Apple has acquired Primesense, which produced products in sensory inputs.

According to DigiTimes, a daily newspaper for electronics and communications based in Taiwan, the next iPhone is expected to have a stainless steel frame, instead of its conventional aluminum material. The new metal chassis is expected to be produced from a forging process that would reduce cost and enhance sturdiness. The cost would be 30 – 50 percent cheaper than the current machine process to produce the frames.

According to an analyst named Ming-Chi Kuo from KGI Securities, a banking firm, the 2017 iPhone will provide wireless charging. iPhone 8 will be able to be charged using an inductive pad, instead of a plugged-in cable. The report claims that this feature may only be included in certain, more expensive models. Along with this is the rumor that the 7s and 7s Plus are expected to be re-launched with all-glass casing, which may allow faster charging and fewer frequency disruptions.

Another report from KGI Security analysts claim that Apple will launch three models of the next iPhone in 2017. One of these models will boast a 5.5-inch OLED screen along with a dual camera. Another will have a 5.5-inch LCD screen with dual camera as well. The last one will be a 4.5-in screen with LCD and a single-camera system, similar like today’s iPhone 7.

According to MacWorld.com, KGI Securities are often very accurate in terms of iPhone hardware predictions. But the surest way to tell will have to be the unveiling sometime later this year. Keep your eyes peeled.