What Viral Beauty Products are Actually Worth Your Money: Skincare Edition

Have fun exploring trends and remember, you don’t always need that $80 moisturizer.
Graphic by Elizabeth Weiss.

In the ever-evolving landscape of skincare, the quest for the perfect product is an ongoing journey for many self-proclaimed enthusiasts and beauty aficionados. In comes TikTok. While it’s a useful search engine and good at finding many products that are worth it, it throws a stick in the road. Which of many viral skincare products are deserving of your money? Stick around and find out.

Hits:

1.) Tower 28 Daily Rescue Facial Spray

This spray carried me through the summer! If you have sensitive skin or are prone to sunburns, this instantly soothes any redness. 

2.) Tatcha Dewy Skin Cream

I wish I could hate this moisturizer as it’s so expensive, but there is nothing that compares to it (trust me, I went down the dupe rabbit hole). Every morning since I started using it, I wake up with the smoothest skin.

3.) The Mighty Patch

What is there not to like about The Mighty Patch? It’s inexpensive and works like a charm to pull the gunk from any and all pimples you may have.

4.) COSRX Snail Mucin 96% Power Repairing Essence                   

Dewy skin in a bottle is the best way to describe this product. The Snail Mucin Essence works like magic to smooth and soothe your skin. 

5.) Aquaphor  

Aquaphor isn’t just an ointment. Use it on your lips, as an overnight sleep treatment (also known as slugging), to help strengthen your lashes, and basically anything else you can imagine. 

Misses:

1.) Glow Recipe Dew Drops

I won’t deny how adorable the packaging is. However, due to the fragrance, you will likely experience irritation. If you love the dewy effect it provides (starting at $20 for the smallest size- yikes!), Essence’s Hello, Good Stuff! Serum is the dupe of your dreams. 

2.) Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask

Due to the thick formula and coconut oil, the lip sleeping mask notoriously clogs your pores. In essence, this is an overpriced chapstick masked by its adorable appearance. My go-to dupe is the new e.l.f. Squeeze Me Lip Balm. It only costs $4 and feels and tastes like pudding. 

3.) Supergoop! Glow Screen

This is by far the oiliest sunscreen on the market. If you plan on putting makeup on over it, it will slide off and break you out at the same time. 

4.) Youth to The People Kale + Green Tea Cleanser

We love brands that use natural ingredients but unfortunately this cleanser fell short. If you have dry or combination skin, it will leave your skin feeling dehydrated. A little does go a long way, so if you have oily skin, it is a great option. 

5.) The Ordinary Caffeine 5% + EGCG Depuffing Eye Serum

Even when used consistently, this product does little to nothing. I, along with many other Sephora reviewers, noticed no improvement in the puffiness or dark circles under the eyes. 

Price point doesn’t determine quality. In fact, the majority of my skincare routine products are under $15, except for you, Tatcha Dewy Skin Cream–– I hate you for what you did to my wallet. Have fun exploring trends and remember, you don’t always need that $80 moisturizer.