How to beat the hiatus blues

So what now?
Olivia Ray

In a flash of sequins, pride flags and one last iteration of “Kiwi,” Harry Styles’ Love on Tour came to a close in July of 2023.

With the end of Love on Tour, Styles has once again entered his hiatus-era in which rumors will fly, and paparazzi pictures will spread, but no new music or concert-footage will surface.

So what now?

If you’re anything like me, you know that when an artist takes a (probably) much-needed hiatus from making music, touring, and press events, it can be hard to find someone new to fill my newfound free time. So in the spirit of the hiatus season, I have devised a guide for how to beat the blues of missing your favorite artists.

1. Deep dive on everything they have ever produced

That means music videos, covers, unreleased music and interviews. Maybe there is an album that you only know a couple of tracks off and haven’t listened to in a while. Or, in the case of Styles, they might have music that was never formally released, but is streamable online (shh). Try to look for new excitement in the artist’s existing body of work. That is easier said than done in some instances, especially if your artist has a small discography. 

Some artists do lots of press events and interviews and those can be another really fun way to learn more about a musician. It also could lead to discovering adjacent artists to the one you love through artists that inspired your musician. 

BBC Radio 1 Live Lounge on YouTube is a great place to look for in-studio covers. All kinds of musicians have graced their studios to cover all kinds of songs from Olivia Rodrigo covering Noah Kahan to Rina Sawayama covering Billie Eilish. It can be a bit of a rabbit-hole, so cover-lovers beware. 

1. Find similar artists

Now we know there is no replacement for your beloved artist, but you might discover a new love within the artist’s genre. Depending on where you get your music, there are ways to receive suggestions based on your listening patterns. Spotify has an entire “Discovery” section with curated playlists of new music based on your past listening habits. Apple Music also has a “Discovery” station where you can receive suggestions for what to explore next.

It can also be fun to find friends who share music interests and they might have suggestions for artists you’ve never heard of. Asking around about music is a great way to get to know people better and start a fun conversation. 

1. Watch concert film

I grew up watching concert footage so it holds a special place in my heart as a way to interact with musicians. While not all live performers are created equal, you might discover something about their live performances that is different from recordings, re-igniting that excitement you felt when you first discovered their music.  

1. Take your own hiatus

I know it sounds painfully hard but sometimes space really does make the heart grow fonder. Try taking a break from the binging and come back to your favorites after some time away trying out new artists and genres. Sometimes that can help you discover new traits in songs you’ve heard practically a million times.