The ABCs of bike care

By Sarah Kinney

You push down the pedals in a steady rhythm, passing the cars stuck in morning traffic. The air brushes past your face and arms and for a moment, you are flying. You are free.

But one rusty link can ruin your whole adventure.

For many in Boston, bicycling is their primary way of commuting, recreation, and getting around. In order to keep your wheels spinning, follow these simple steps.

A is for Air

Before you take your bike on a ride, check to make sure your tires are not flat.

“The wheel should feel solid, as though you cannot pinch the tire at all,” said Laini Cassis, who biked over 4,200 miles across the U.S. last summer.

On the side of your tire, you can find what the appropriate air pressure of your tire should be in pounds per square inch (PSI).

Simmons students with low tire pressure can either go to the Holmes Sport Center and use their electric air pump to refill tires with Schrader valves, or to REI to use the floor pump for tires with Presta valves. Both are free.

You also want to pay attention to why your tires became flat in the first place.

“Run your fingers along the tire to feel for any foreign objects, and use tweezers to grab the really tiny things,” says Cassis.

B is for Brakes

On the front and back tires of your bike there are pairs of rubber pads that clamp down on the metal part of the tire to stop the bike. When you inspect your brakes, you should see that your tire is in the middle and the brake pads  are equally spaced.

“They should not be touching the wheel when the brakes are disengaged,” said Cassis.

If your brake pads are rubbing, you can separate them with your thumbs.

“Of course, your brake pads may be worn out and need replacing, and that’s when you head to the bike shop,” said Cassis.

C is for Chain

Juniors Ashley Hatcher and Laura Haenchen say, one of the most frequent troubles they face with their bikes are their chains derailing.

Many have experienced having their chain fall off the gears during ride. There are several reasons chains do so: chain tension, inefficient gear, or a damaged derailleur or chain.

If your chain falls off, stop immediately; continuing to pedal could jam the chain between the wheel and frame and cause permanent damage.

If you have a rusty chain, or it squeaks or pops, you need to apply chain grease.

“After buying some quality chain lube, simply apply it onto the chain, wait fifteen minutes, and wipe away excess with a rag,” said Cassis.

You should also inspect your chain to make sure the links are not frozen together. Just bend the links and slowly spin the pedals to find any frozen links. If you find a set, try to unfreeze them with more lubricant and by bending the links back and forth.

The problem could be that your derailleur is not lined up correctly. While it is possible to adjust it yourself, if you are unfamiliar with how, it is probably best to bring it to a professional.

The silent R is Rust

“Rust is bad,” said junior Rachel Ross. “I had an issue keeping my bike out of the rain.”

Many college students do not have a dry place to store their bikes, or do not have room for them in dorms or apartments. Leaving a bike in the open wet weather can cause rust, which will weaken the frame and can erode metal parts.

By keeping your bike clean and coating the frame with car wax, you can stop the spread of rust on the exterior of the bike. An aerosol frame saver  can protect the inside of frame.

Greasing the chain and brake cables will keep them in good repair and you can protect the saddle (or seat) with a plastic bag.

Another thing to remember about storing a bike outside is to lock it.

“It [my bike] got stolen several times by drunk people,” said Ross. “Once, I found it behind a dumpster.”
U-locks are harder to tamper with than cable locks.