Annual broadcasting conference to be held at Simmons on Saturday

By Maddy Longwell

On Saturday, Nov. 5 high school and college students from Massachusetts and around New England will come to Simmons for the Intercollegiate Broadcasting System (IBS) 2016 Radio and Media Conference.unnamed

IBS connects thousands of high school and college students from around the country who work for or hope to work for their school’s media and radio programs. The conference at Simmons is an annual event and will take place all day—registration begins at 8 a.m. and the day concludes at 4:15 p.m. with the close of the fourth session. The conference will take place in the Lefavour building on Simmons’ academic campus.

After registration, the conference has four sessions that take place throughout the day. In each session, attendees are able to choose between speakers from around New England. Session one includes presentations by the owner of WATD Radio Marshfield, Fred Krampits of WTCC Radio Springfield; Dave Skill, anchor at WATD radio, Simmons communications professor Andrew Porter; and web designer and marketing consultant Sarah Dulaney.

Session Two, which will last from 10:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. will include topics like “Backbone Network: Helping you reach the World,” “Starting your station,” “Producing public service programming,” “Music royalties and licensing agreements,” and “How to create a killer show.”

At noon attendees are welcome to attend a lunch, followed by a keynote address by keynote speaker Holland Cooke in the Kotzen Room. According to the IBS, Cooke is described as “a media consultant working at the intersection of Talk Radio and the Internet. He coaches on-air talent and advises radio stations, including WRKO here in Boston.”

Following the keynote address, two more sessions will follow in the afternoon. The topics of these sessions include “Finding that first job,” “FCC Rules and Regulations,” “The future of music,” and “Finding an audience in 2016.” Many of the speakers will be presenting at multiple presentations and during different sessions throughout the day. The day will conclude with session four, where attendees will be able to choose between, “Women in Media: challenges and opportunities,” “Developing and sharpening your interview skills,” “Starting and managing a record label,” and “The changing face of radio.”

The event, which generally costs $45 to attend and includes coffee and lunch, will be free for Simmons students, who are welcomed to attend.