What Viral Beauty Products are Actually Worth Your Money: Makeup Edition

As a self-proclaimed beauty and skincare expert- well, according to my bank statement- I will be sharing what viral products you need.
Graphic by Elizabeth Weiss
Graphic by Elizabeth Weiss

Like the majority of Gen Z, I find myself spending hours and hours on TikTok. While our For You Pages might differ, I’m sure that most of you have heard of products such as the Dior Lip Oil or Drunk Elephant’s Bronzi Drops. Spoiler alert: both are overpriced and overhyped. 

Hits:

1.) Soft Pinch Rare Beauty Blush

This is genuinely the most pigmented and long lasting blush I have ever tried. I have had the same bottle for almost a year now. For a natural mauve look, try my personal favorite shade Hope. 

2.) Limitless ILIA Lash Lengthening Clean Mascara

If you’re a chronic napper and always forget to take off your makeup, this mascara is for you. Not only does it make your eyelashes longer without creating clumps, it never smudges. 

3.) Saie Glowy Super Gel Lightweight Dewy Highlighter 

This versatile highlighter can either be used as a base or to highlight points that you want some extra shine. 

4.) Glossier Ultralip

I am a lip product addict so trust my word on this one. The Ultralip is moisturizing (thanks hyaluronic acid!) and lasts hours. The Ultralip product has darker statement shades and natural lippies for any occasion. 

5.) NYX The Brow Glue 

This is the only product that keeps my eyebrows in place all day. For only $8, this product beats every brow product on the market and is well deserving of its hype. 

Misses:

1.) Dior Addict Lip Glow Oil

In my opinion, no lip product should be $40. The formula is sticky and has no color pay-off. Two affordable alternatives include the NYX Fat Oil and the new e.l.f Glow Reviver. The NYX Fat Oil is more of a lip gloss but has an amazing pigment while the e.l.f. is a true lip oil and feels smooth on the lips.

2.) Summer Fridays Lip Butter

This is a hot take but the Summer Fridays Lip Butter is overpriced and overrated. I wanted to love this product but it isn’t moisturizing and it isn’t unique. Please spare the $24.

3.) Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara

This mascara has been trending even before the rise of Tik Tok. It’s a mystery as it clumps and smudges. While supposed to lengthen lashes, it falls short and a lot of drug store mascaras such as Maybelline’s Sky High mascara reign superior at a fraction of the price. 

4.) Benefit Benetint Lip and Blush Tint 

It is impossible to blend out the Benetint unless you like rubbing your face for five minutes every morning. The pigment disappears instantly and does not last at all.

5.) Drunk Elephant D-Bronzi Drops

It’s unclear what this product intends to do. While it gives you a glow, it’s patchy and $38 for only 30 ml. 

I would like to reassure you that these are my personal preferences and overhyped does not mean a product is bad. However, there are tons of affordable makeup items on the market that will give you better results while not breaking the bank.