Opinion: Study albums perfect for finals week

Here are some of my picks of the perfect study albums for some of the different types of students you can find at Simmons.

Image from Pixabay.

Piper Summer, Staff Writer

Every student has different academic wants and needs. Some students learn better kinesthetically, some are visual learners, and others are auditory learners. Some students feel more partial to STEM, and others may thrive in the arts. So why shouldn’t your study music be tailored to you? As a self-proclaimed musical connoisseur, here are some of my picks of the perfect study albums for some of the different types of students you can find at Simmons. 

For the Swiftie:Speak Now” by Taylor Swift

Essential track: “Back to December”

At Simmons, saying Taylor Swift is popular would be an understatement. I don’t profess to be a Swiftie, but I did grow up listening to her, and “Speak Now” is a great choice for studying. The perfect mix of country twang and pop-oriented sensibilities make for the best of both worlds.

For the daydreamer:Superclean, Vol. I” & “Superclean, Vol. II” by the Marías

Essential track: “Cariño”

These ethereal EPs are essential listens for anyone who’s into modern psychedelic music, and I have personally found that they make a great background for writing essays, and are a few steps up from “Lo-fi Beats To Study To.” Plus, for anyone studying Spanish, you could practice tus habilidades de traducción while listening to “Basta Ya.” I wouldn’t expect any extra credit for it, though. 

For the vintage record collector: “If You Can Believe Your Eyes & Ears” by The Mamas & Papas

Essential track: “Straight Shooter”

It’s true that flipping through the records at a local thrift store is far more interesting than making spreadsheets for economics, but this album can make even the most tedious assignment more tolerable. If you haven’t experienced the magic of the Mamas & Papas, finals season is the perfect time to get acquainted.

For the recovering metalhead:Paranoid” by Black Sabbath

Essential track: “Jack the Stripper / Fairies Wear Boots”

While you’re going back to the basics in chemistry, you can also go back to basics with the classic metal album. Black Sabbath may be a pioneer of metal, but it’s not so heavy that your thoughts are drowned out. “Paranoid” is the perfect level of auditory stimulation to keep you going through an all-night cramming session. 

For the bonafide sad girl: “Norman F—— Rockwell!” by Lana Del Rey

Essential track: “Venice B—-”

We can’t always be cruising down the Pacific Coast Highway in a classic Corvette reminiscing about the one that got away, but Lana can get you pretty close. This album is the perfect study companion, but maybe don’t listen to it if you recently went through a breakup. It’s hard to do your philosophy reading through teary eyes. I imagine Lana would be proud, though, as she has a philosophy degree from Fordham!

For the proud Bostonian:Bossanova” by Pixies

Essential track: “Havalina” 

The Massachusetts natives are a favorite, and there’s about a 75% chance that “Ana” is blasting in my headphones at any given time. I’ve fallen in love with both Boston and the local music, especially Pixies. Pixies are a rock band, but this album tends to be relatively tame –except for “Rock Music”, go figure–, and makes for the perfect soundtrack for a Quizlet session. 

For the flannel-loving hipster:The Shepherd’s Dog” by Iron & Wine

Essential track: “Pagan Angel and a Borrowed Car”

If this album had a smell, it would be craft beer and pine trees. So, if your finals schedule gives you the urge to run away to the Pacific Northwest and try your hand at being a lumberjack, this album was made just for you. Any Twilight enthusiasts might recognize “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” from the first Twilight movie, which is the last track of the album.