Simmons creates alternate section of STAT 118 as professor is accused of racist blog

Megan Sutherland and Isabelle Indelicato

BREAKING:

Simmons University is offering a new section of STAT 118 – Introductory Statistics for students who wish to switch out of Professor David Kane’s class.

The course alternative comes in response to allegations of Kane’s blog posts that were missed by Simmons in the hiring process as reported by the Voice Wednesday evening.

The new section of STAT 118 is scheduled for the same time and days as Kane’s according to Associate Professor and Director of Mathematics, Computing, and Statistics, Amber Stubbs. The new section will be taught by Professor Margaret Menzin as listed on Workday.

Kane came under fire in 2020 after his students at Harvard discovered a blog he had founded and run since 2003. They allege that posts with sexist, racist, and homophobic content authored by the user ‘David Dudley Field ‘25’ were made by Kane.

While Kane hasn’t confirmed or denied the authorship, a post made by ‘Field’ in 2014 was signed ‘David Kane ‘88.’

Simmons Provost Russell Pinizzotto said that while the university “may sometimes vehemently disagree with an individual’s views,” there is a “historic importance” in the principle of freedom of speech.

While questions remain about the long-term impact on the Simmons community, a student in Kane’s MATH 118 said that they have already switched to the new section being offered. “It’s a step in the right direction.”

The students interviewed from Kane’s class have been granted anonymity.

Simmons’ Assistant Vice President of Communications Laura Wareck told the Voice via email that there will be support for students impacted by the hiring of Kane through the Counseling Center and REEF Support Center.
The Voice reached out to David Kane for comment but did not hear back.