Dr. Paul Geisler to become Dean of School of Sciences and Health Professions

Geisler said his primary objective at Simmons is emphasizing the integration of liberal arts and humanities through the students’ STEM-based education in the School of Sciences and Health Professions.
Via Simmons website

Dr. Paul Geisler will transition from Interim Dean of the School of Sciences and Health Professions to the permanent Dean role beginning in Fall 2024. This change will follow the restructuring of Simmons’ four colleges into six.

Geisler is an alumnus of a liberal arts college  and said Simmons has an “attractive mission” of diversity, leadership, and change-making. After a career as an athletic trainer, Geisler started at Simmons as interim dean in 2021 and said he feels like his work is strongest and does his best in small schools with liberal arts core values.

“Women-centered education is important. Educating people to be independent, successful, and driven is very interesting, and it’s exciting to be part of that at the undergraduate level,” said Geisler in an interview with the Voice. 

Geisler said his primary objective at Simmons is emphasizing the integration of liberal arts and humanities through the students’ STEM-based education in the School of Sciences and Health Professions. According to Geisler, he integrated writing skills, DEI education, and encouraged critical conversations in his previous career. 

Jane Lopilato, an associate professor and chair of the biology department who has known Geisler since 2021, described the Marietta alumnus as “energetic.” Lopilato emphasized that restructuring Simmons’ colleges from four to six will “raise the profile of the STEM work being done,” which includes research, clinical rotations, and local internship and work opportunities.

Sophomore Justine Paragas is a Public Health major on the pre-health track, and said she feels very supported by the Public Health, biology, and chemistry faculty, especially as she prepares to conduct a research project within the biology department.

“Students will do extremely well under his leadership,” said Lopilato. “He’s been instrumental in seeking out opportunities for students and making everything very student-centered, always asking how students will benefit…I’m confident that if anyone can do it, he can.”