New graduation regalia policy sparks controversy among seniors

Despite her active participation in the Simmons community, the new rules mean that she will not be permitted to wear any cords or stoles.
Lily Boland

On February 1, the Simmons University Provost’s Office sent an email to graduating seniors with information about upcoming graduation events. The email referenced new graduation regalia rules, which have sparked concern and anger among the senior class.

The new regalia policy effectively eliminates the ability for members of clubs and organizations on campus to purchase and wear regalia celebrating their participation. 

According to the email, “approved cords and stoles include academics and those celebrating students from marginalized identities and their accomplishments.” The email referred students to a link to the Simmons website, which led to a “Page Not Found” error

A follow-up email from Corey Zohlman, Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs, Operations, and Administration, pointed the Voice to the full policy

This policy is intended to “clarify confusion among graduating students about what is allowed,” and further indicates that only academic achievement and marginalized community regalia are permitted. 

For senior Emma Scott, the decision to only allow academic and marginalized community cords limits her ability to show off her accomplishments at Simmons. 

Scott, a Nutrition and Dietetics student, participates in several clubs at Simmons, but has not received any academic honors. 

Despite her active participation in the Simmons community, the new rules mean that she will not be permitted to wear any cords or stoles. “I am still a president of a student organization (Wentworth Rugby, a COF club sport team) and I deserve to be honored for that,” Scott told the Voice. 

Eimy Almonte Garcia is a senior Biochemistry major who moved to the United States when she was two years old.

Almonte Garcia said she wants to walk across the stage at graduation showcasing all parts of her identity. “My culture and heritage is a main part of that,” said Almonte Garcia. “To try to take that away is diminishing my accomplishments, my family’s trials and tribulations, and my home country’s name.” 

“I want to walk across that stage as a proud Afro-Latina woman, and I will represent…the Dominican Republic proudly. For this new policy to try to take that away is heartbreaking,” said Almonte Garcia. 

Both Scott and Almonte Garcia told the Voice that this issue was of heightened significance to them because they graduated high school in 2020, and were not able to participate in traditional graduation ceremonies due to COVID-19. 

The Voice surveyed 15 graduating seniors on their opinions regarding whether or not they should be allowed to wear regalia honoring club and organization participation. All 15 said that they were disappointed in the new policy.

Students will be permitted to decorate their caps.