Expand your mind

Briana Hayes

There are plenty of websites that serve as distractions to the work that we should be doing: BuzzFeed, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest. However, there is a website that claims it can change your mental capabilities through game-like tests.

Lumosity is a website that attempts to increase an individual’s mental abilities. This is based off the idea that brain functions are broken up into categories, including speed, memory, attention, flexibility, and problem solving.

Speed refers to reflexes and the amount of time it takes to answer. Memory is self-explanatory and is tested using a pattern game. Attention is how closely you notice details. Flexibility refers to “flexible thinking” and how quickly you can change your train of thought. Finally, problem-solving involves resolving issues and coming up with the ideas necessary to do so.

When combined, Lumosity figures out a Brain Performance Index (BPI) score for each individual after a trial test. Lumosity.com defines BPI as a “proprietary, scaled measure of your performance based on top game scores in each Lumosity Brain Area.”

The purpose behind the BPI is to compare your strengths and weaknesses across the various games that test the different cognitive abilities. Through the games, Lumosity provides a person activities to increase their scores.

If you pay for full access, you can track your progress and have games suggested to you that are tailored to what you would like to improve. There are over 40 games for you to play to increase the cognitive functions you wish to improve.

However, if you do not want to pay, you are still able to take the pre-tests and calculate your scores for speed, memory, and attention. In addition, you will still be able to play specific games that are in session for that day.

Lumosity is based on the science of neuroplasticity. This means that your brain is capable of change.

It was once believed that once an individual reaches adulthood their brain could no longer develop new and improved functions. However, since the 20th century this theory has been questioned.

It is now a more common belief that the brain is malleable and can be constantly changed through experience and the outside environment. According to this theory we are always learning and can continue to learn into adulthood.

New neural pathways have the ability to be created due to novel behaviors and experiences, therefore we can change the way we process information through these new pathways.

Memory is one of the most studied and interesting parts of psychology and the mind. It is well known that repetition improves memory, as does grouping. This is because our brain can become reliant on the pathways we already have due to the repetition.

However, if we want to change our cognitive function, new experiences are mandatory. Lumosity believes this will challenge our brains to adapt and find new ways to work and think.

The games are in actuality tasks that test the cognitive function and neuropsychological pathways.

Many of them are just alterations of tests that were used in experiments to test brain function. For example, the game Lost in Migration is really just a variation of the cognitive task known as the Eriksen Flanker Task. The game just uses birds instead of arrows, where one bird is pointed in a different direction than the others.

Once you join Lumosity you can compare your brain functions with other users and see how you stack up. You have the ability to compare based on gender or age.

The idea is to keep playing the games and improving your scores. By playing the games even as a study break you will still be exercising your mind without noticing.

So next time you want to waste time by going on a website, try Lumosity. At least you can feel good about your decision to procrastinate.