Flu season update

Briana Hayes

While the Southeast and South Central regions of the United States are experiencing declines in the amounts of influenza-like activity, the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic still continue to have significant cases of the flu reported weekly.

With flu season still in high swing for this part of the country, it is highly recommended that individuals who have not yet received a flu vaccination do so as soon as possible.

Even if you have received a flu vaccination in previous years, it is still important to get a new vaccination every year. This is because influenza viruses are always changing.

The flu vaccination for this current year is designed to protect against the 2009 H1N1 virus, which seems to be the most common case this year.

In 2009, the H1N1 flu was first reported in the spring. The new occurrence of this type of flu allows more people to become susceptible due to people’s lack of immune build up to this specific strain.

The virus is spread through the air, which makes it harder to avoid. It originates from the respiratory tract of the infected person.

The typical symptoms of the flu include a fever, chills, a cough, achy muscles, congestion and a headache.

In order to prevent contracting the virus, one should wash their hands, avoid contact with their eyes, mouth, and nose and eat a balanced diet to do his/her best to remain healthy.

Flu vaccinations are available through the Simmons College Health Center, as well as many local pharmacies.

During the 2012-2013 influenza season, the percentage of weekly visits to the doctor’s office for influenza-like symptoms reached a peak of just over 6 percent.

So far during 2013-2014 such a high number has not been encountered. In addition, the percentage appears to be on a decline and seems to be following patterns set as a precedent in previous years.

The latest update on cdc.gov puts Massachusetts in the group with low activity, but that does not mean that flu season is over or even close to being over.

A total of 38 states reported widespread activity this previous week. While that is a decline from the 41 states that reported it two weeks ago, it is still a significant number. This flu season has led to 5,494 hospitalizations. Sixty percent of these individuals have been between the ages of 18-64 years old. Therefore it is important to take precautionary steps and avoid anyone who appears to be coughing and ill.

Living in a city makes it easier to spread viruses. Flu season is still here and there are plenty of opportunities to get the flu vaccine if you have not yet.

Don’t waste any more time!