Sharks tennis sweeps Mt. Ida

By Kate Joseph

Sharks tennis continued to dominate this weekend as they swept the Mount Ida College Mustangs across nine matches on Saturday afternoon.
The GNAC action kicked off with three well played doubles matches executed by Caroline Khoury and Rachael Downey who teamed up to conquer Mount Ida’s Elizabeth Wood and Jennifer Lord in first doubles.
First singles were played by Downey who defeated Lord in two matches with scores of 6-0 and 6-1.
Katie Crowley took the second singles slot and was able to defeat Mount Ida’s Jessica Cavcali twice in a row scoring 6-0 in both matches.
Second doubles brought another win for Simmons when Crowley and Emmalie Snyder beat Ida’s Cavcali and Victoria Messinger.
Ashley Pierce and Maddie Theoharidis snatched another win for the Sharks as they defeated Crissa Branco and Alicia Ritchie in third doubles.
The last match saw Kristi Mielbye defeating Wood in third singles with scores of 6-1 and 6-0.
“This past weekend’s match was an opportunity to show the depth of the program,” said Coach Robert Rauseo. “Sophomore Maddie Theoharidis as well as first-years Ashley Pierce and Emmy Snyder all had impressive season debuts. It is this depth that keeps us very competitive no matter how strong the competition.”
This weekend brought the Sharks’s record up to 5-2 to improve their overall season performance.
Tennis hits the courts again tomorrow, Friday, Sept. 27, as they take on the ITA Regional Tournament and on Saturday when they will face off against Albertus Magnus at MIT’s Briggs Tennis Courts at 1:00 p.m.