College revamps brand

Your moment. Your move. Your Simmons.

By Alison Berstein

Simmons students are no strangers to the power of storytelling, so it comes as no surprise that the College decided to revamp it’s own story through branding.

Branding is defining or adjusting an organization’s image. An organization, like a school, creates a clear message that appeals to its audience.

Since last summer, the Boston-based public relations agency Brodeur Partners has worked with the school on creating a new brand, and with it, a new tagline.

After much consideration, the school’s new tagline is: “Your Moment. Your Move. Your Simmons: Where leaders make themselves.”

Screen shot 2015-02-24 at 4.02.55 PM
Screenshot from the new Simmons College website.
Screen shot 2015-02-24 at 3.36.24 PM

Simmons President Helen Drinan announced the new brand messaging along with the new website last month.

“This new messaging supports our focus on preparing women and men who have the courage and confidence to lead in their fields and communities,” Drinan said in the email announcement.

Simmons student Meghan Pierce is proud of the sense of Simmons leadership reflected in the tagline.

“I feel like Simmons leadership is so unique, because we are given the tools to succeed, it’s just up to us to use them to the best of our ability and find the leader in ourselves,” she said.

Cheryl Howard, Vice President of Marketing at the school, has been involved in the rebranding process from its conception.

“As a marketer, this was a dream project,” Howard said. “It was a pleasure doing this for Simmons College, not only because I’m alum but also it’s my discipline and I work with this awesome agency and listen to people talk about Simmons.”

Brodeur and Howard’s colleagues brainstormed several taglines, comparing them with related taglines of other schools. They then combined language from a few of the original taglines to yield the final result.

The school also recently launched its new website as part of the rebranding process.

Pierce believes the new brand resonates with Simmons community members of all ages and levels of education.

“I think that prospective students will appreciate the new branding because it offers the potential of their future. It makes them envision where they could be, who they could grow to be,” she said. “I think it’s very inspirational, not just for prospective, but current students and alum.”

As a Simmons alum herself, Howard feels a personal connection with the school and its new