Several finalists for Simmons College Radio chosen for IBS awards

By Ellen Garnett

picture of the awards Simmons Radio has won
Photo by Lisa Nault

The Intercollegiate Broadcasting System (IBS) named Simmons College Radio a National Finalist in four categories in this year’s annual IBS College Radio Awards.

According to its website, the IBS is a 75-year-old educational nonprofit that represents over 600 college and high school radio and television stations.

Simmons  College Radio was named a finalist for the following: Best On-Air Personality (Danielle Annecston), Best Station Liner (Caroline Qualey), Best Specialty Music Show (“Mix & Match with M.E.L.”), and Best Public Service Promotion (“Ask a Simmons Nurse”).

While Simmons College Radio may not be well-known on campus, it is not new to the scene of College Radio Awards. Up in the radio studio, one will find about a dozen awards that that station has received over its past six years of being on air.

Danielle Annecston, one such Simmons Radio finalist, has been recognized for her easy going on-air personality for her show “The Seattlelite’s Playlist, Dannie Radio.” Her show consists of new genres each week and typically features both up-and-coming and well-known Seattle musicians, such as Foo Fighters, Macklemore, and Death Cab for Cutie.

“I love being able to share my music and have people respond to it. It’s really satisfying and makes me comfortable in my own skin,” said Annecston.

Annecston is a Business Management major and minors in International Relations and Radio. Being a part of the radio has helped Annecston prepare herself for a real job by being organized, practicing punctuality and learning how to present herself to the public.

“This is my first year doing a radio show by myself and to be nationally recognized for something I do for fun and to relieve stress is mind-blowing,” said Annecston.

At the beginning of spring break, Annecston will be joined by other Simmons College Radio finalists in attending the annual IBS College Radio Awards ceremony held in New York.

Another finalist for this year, the “Ask a Simmons Nurse” PSA, illustrates how radio can be an educational tool.

“The ‘Ask a Simmons Nurse’ nomination shows what good interdepartmental cooperation can produce,” said Simmons College Radio Advisor and Communications Professor Len Mailloux. “This public service series, which runs on Simmons Radio as well as in ‘The Simmons Voice,’ is a collaborative effort between the Dept. of Communications and the School of Nursing and Health Sciences.”

In the coming weeks, Simmons Radio will change its name to “The Shark.”

“We think the new name, which will officially be ‘Simmons Radio, The Shark’ better reflects the energy and upbeat content of our product,” said Professor Mailloux.

A special live broadcast and event will be held soon to mark this change and there will soon be details of a Simmons Radio Shark Logo competition for all students. Tune into Simmons College Radio using the TuneIn mobile application or search Simmons College Radio on iTunes.