BREAKING: Simmons to move to remote classes for remainder of semester

Photo courtesy of Simmons University www.simmons.edu

Sarah Carlon, International News Editor

Simmons University has moved to remote instruction for the rest of the spring semester amidst further COVID-19 outbreaks in the Boston area, according to an email to students from President Helen Drinan.

The move comes after many other Boston-based schools such as Harvard, Suffolk, Emerson, and Emmanuel announced their cancelling of in-person classes for the rest of the semester, Mayor Marty Walsh declared a state of emergency in Boston, and Governor Charlie Baker banned gatherings of over 250 people. 

All undergraduate and graduate classes will meet remotely starting March 23, 2020, after the one week extension of spring break was announced on Wednesday. All pre-existing online classes will run as scheduled, and faculty will receive more instruction from Provost Katie Conboy next week. Students will also receive more details about remote classes next week, the email read. 

Administration is currently working on an approach to housing, dining refunds and credits. 

“Our first priority is to ensure a safe move out for students, and we will communicate additional information as soon as we have it,” the email continued. “Thank you for your continued patience and understanding.”

All athletics are cancelled for the rest of the semester, and the Holmes Sports Center will be closed as well. 

In-person events on campus are cancelled  for the remainder of the semester, and smaller in-person gatherings, such as campus tours or information sessions, are highly discouraged. Any exceptions need approval by a University Strategy Team (UST) member. A continually updated list of campus events can be found here.

The ban on Simmons-supported travel announced on Wednesday still stands as well. 

Commencement is “still a possibility,” according to the email from Drinan, but will have to be evaluated at a later time.

This story is developing and will continue to be updated.