Fire blazes through Fenway

By Haley Costen

A crowd gathers as firefighters fight flames. (Photo by Fernanda Tapai)

Students awake in the early hours of Sunday morning might have noticed billows of smoke surrounding campus and the rest of the Fenway area.

The source was a four-alarm fire in an office on 877 Beacon Street, close to the Fenway T station.

Firefighters arrived at around 1:25 a.m. according to the Boston Fire Department’s Twitter. Neighboring apartment buildings were evacuated with no reported injuries, according to the Boston Globe. The displaced residents waited in MBTA buses until 3:30 a.m. when fire officials cleared them to reenter their homes.

Four firefighters suffered mild injuries, according to the Boston Globe. Two had burns, one had a hurt ankle, and the other a hurt shoulder.

The fire started on the first floor and traveled rapidly through the walls and the upper floors and roof of the four-floored building. The flames did not spread to other buildings, but an adjacent apartment suffered from severe smoke damage, according to the Boston Fire Department’s tweets.

Firefighters closed off Beacon Street and Park Drive as they fought the fire from the front of the building and a back alleyway.

Fire Department Spokesman Steve MacDonald told the Globe that a huge challenge in fighting the fire was doing it during a nor’easter.

The situation was compromised by “the wind and the way the building was situated,” MacDonald said.

The department’s Twitter estimated the fire caused $3 million in damages. The office building housed SCS Realty Group.

The building will remain under investigation, according to the Boston Fire Department’s Twitter.