Treats on a budget: Fall favorites that won’t break the bank

By Tasha Friedman
Contributing Writer

Pinterest offers a vpariety of recipie options from apple pie, snowy chocolate pinecones, caramel apple dip, and pumpkin recipes.

This year, pumpkin has been one of the most popular flavors around. Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks released their pumpkin-flavored coffees, and stores stocked up on pumpkin sweets.

For pumpkin lovers, Pinterest offers a healthy recipe of how to make your own pumpkin muffins. These muffins do not require oil.

The recipe calls for a can of pumpkin, applesauce, eggs, vanilla, brown sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and a muffin pan.

Measurements:
1 Small can of Pumpkin

½ cup of applesauce

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon of Vanilla

½ cup of brown sugar

1 ¾ – 2 cups of flour

1 teaspoon of baking powder

½ teaspoon of baking soda

2 ½ teaspoons of pumpkin

pie spice

Directions:
1- The bottom of the muffin pan should be greased and the oven heated to 350 degrees.

2- After mixing the ingredients together, pour the mixture into the cups and place the pan into the oven.

3- Wait until the tops of the muffins are crisp brown. Let them cool off and enjoy!

This is a great recipie for those that don’t have the money to spend, because let’s face it, college students are on a low budget during the holiday season. College kids need recipes that will be easy, inexpensive, and yummy.

Caramel apples are always a popular treat but not everyone wants to eat an entire one. An easy way to avoid eating the entire caramel-covered apple is to make mini caramel apples.

This does not require any special ingredients, just an apple, caramel, and mini scoop.

When heading to Shaw’s, pick up a couple of red or green apples and a container of caramel sauce with toothpicks. Back in your room, dorm kitchen, or apartment kitchen, scoop out mini spheres in the apples and place them on a plate.

When finished scooping out the amount you would like, stick the toothpicks into the scooped out apples and start dipping them into the caramel.

Place the apples back onto the plate, and put them into the fridge so the caramel can harden.

Toppings are always a plus, so feel free to go crazy with other ingredients you would like to add. ENJOY!

Mini caramel apples are an easy and affordable treat for college students on a budget.