Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce: the next great American dynasty

This Fourth of July, let’s celebrate the love of pop superstar Taylor Swift and “the guy on the Chiefs.”
Maggie Wettergren

Since word caught of their romance in the fall of 2023, international pop sensation Taylor Swift and Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce have been taking over the headlines. It’s no surprise why; they bridge two of the largest fan bases in the nation – Swifties and football fanatics. 

They are the epitome of a celebrity couple, taking the “American Dream” to new heights (no pun intended). Both grew from humble beginnings and have made household names for themselves. Their reach and popularity have only grown since the start of their relationship last fall.

On June 21, their recognition grew royally, with Prince William and two of his children seen smiling alongside the American pair in a photo from the Eras Tour in London. 

But Swift didn’t say So Long, London just yet. Mere days later, Kelce enjoyed the show from the VIP tent and on stage, enjoying a new kind of attention from a stadium crowd.

Showing off his acting skills, he carried Swift across the stage at Wembley Stadium, aiding in her costume change for “I Can Do It With a Broken Heart”. The symbolism is palpable, drawing connections to her previous relationship with British actor Joe Alwyn. This wasn’t the pair’s first time sharing center stage, either. After the Chiefs second-consecutive Super Bowl win in February, Swift joined Kelce on the field at Allegiant Stadium to celebrate, creating a moment that caught news like wildfire. 

Nay-sayers have conspired that the entire relationship is “one big PR stunt,” or “just a hoax to get attention,” but I think otherwise. Kelce spoke of his infatuation for Swift long before the relationship surfaced, revealing that he had hopes of giving her a friendship bracelet with his number on it (and we’re not talking about jersey number 87) on the New Heights podcast he hosts with his brother Jason back in April of 2023.

Whether you love them or hate them, everyone is in the know of the Swift and Kelce romance. Their relationship is bound to intersect interests among friends and relatives. 

So this Fourth of July, let’s celebrate the love of the uber-successful singer/songwriter and her jersey-wearing beau, because there’s nothing more patriotic than dating the guy on the football team.