Tips for Student Journalists

At a time where many are relying on student journalists to tell their stories, what can we do to hold ourselves accountable to our communities and to the most whole version of the truth? 
Eri O’Brien

As my tenure as Editor-in-Chief of the Voice comes to a close, I have been thinking about what my class of journalists can pass down to the next team.

The Class of 2024 came into college from our childhood bedrooms during a pandemic. We are graduating in a time of contention and uncertainty on college campuses across the country, and leaving our younger peers to continue to report on protests, liberation movements, and dissension in our community. 

Here are a few lessons I’ve learned from my four years in student driven media.

Listen to the people around you.

Not only will your best stories come from something your friend told you in Common Grounds, but you can stay on top of Simmons events and news simply from paying attention. Keep an eye on Campus Connect, organization Instagram pages, and Simmons emails.

There are two sides to every story. 

It’s a cliche for a reason. Make sure you are reaching out to both parties involved in a story, even when it seems straightforward without a second opinion. When someone essential to a story declines an interview, print that. It’s important that your audience knows you did your due diligence so that they can make their own informed decisions. 

Send the second (and the third) email.

More often than not, sources are not answering you because your email got lost. Don’t be afraid to remind someone you are waiting on an answer––as long as you stay polite and respectful, that second or third email can be very helpful. After three, it is safe to assume it is time to move on to another source.

Lean on your peers and mentors. 

You will need to post a correction. You will be criticized when you mess up. You will be criticized when you do everything right. Contention comes with this job. Your student driven media peers and mentors will be essential support as you learn how to navigate criticism of your work. 

Trust your journalism gut. 

If something feels wrong to you, it probably is. In student journalism spaces, I think it is better to check with a second source and be positive about what you are printing than to publish a few hours earlier. And remember––there are resources both inside and outside Simmons for student journalists who need some professional journalism advice. 

The best advice I can give an incoming student journalist is this––don’t lose yourself in the process. Remember that you are learning, and your best is enough. These days, just about every journalist started out as an 18-year-old at a college fair. 

Every story you write will be a little better than the last. And you have a wonderful network of Voice alumni to back you up!