Late Night Bartol to be moved to Smith Hall

From now until Thanksgiving break, students can mobile order at Bartol between the hours of 9-11:30 p.m.
Liv Corneyea

Late Night Bartol was Simmons University’s previous late-night dining option, and often a place where students gathered late at night with their friends. This past summer, Simmons students received an email with the news that Late Night Bartol has been moved to Smith Hall.

Some students were disappointed to return to campus without Late Night Bartol. “I actually went [to Bartol] one night… only to find out that it was not a thing anymore,” said Zuzanna Misztela, a second year in the 3+3 Doctor of Physical Therapy program. 

Late Night Bartol allowed students to use their meal swipes, dining points, Fenway cash, or debit or credit cards to get food, such as mozzarella sticks and chicken fingers, from the hours of 10 p.m.-12 a.m. on Thursdays through Sundays. 

In a story on the Simmons website, seniors shared their favorite memories during their time at Simmons. Cara Mackenzie, who graduated in 2021, shared that their favorite memories at Simmons were “a culmination of all the times I hung out at Bartol late night with my friends… We always had the absolute best time and there was so much space for us to be goofy and ourselves… That sense of togetherness and community and joy was always there on those nights, and I miss it dearly.”

In an email from Simmons’ Division of Student Engagement Success and Diversity, it was announced that the “new 24/7 Late Night” located in Smith Hall, making it seem as though it would be similar to the previous late night option. But, in the basement of Smith Hall, students found three vending machines. The vending machines on campus do not accept Simmons meal swipes or points. Instead, students must pay with cash or card.

For students who enjoy getting late-night snacks with friends, paying out of pocket adds even more to the money they already spend on a meal plan. 

Misztela feels that if Simmons is “offering something like vending machines or something similar to Bartol late night, but in Smith Hall, it should be included in the payment we are already using.”

Heather Lupis, the General Manager of Simmons Dining, provided a statement via email. 

Lupis told the Voice that the original plan was to open an “AI café (sic)” in Smith Hall that would provide students with “fresh food and snacks,” along with the vending machines that are already there. “Unfortunately, supply-chain factors thwarted this plan and our equipment is on backorder.” 

From now until Thanksgiving break, students can mobile order at Bartol between the hours of  9-11:30 p.m. and pick up their food at the register at the front of Bartol. The mobile order menu includes french fries, quesadillas, mozzarella sticks, and more. 

Lupis also added that “students will be able to use Dining Points, Fenway Cash, and debit and credit/debit for mobile ordering and at the Smith Hall Late-Night.”

CORRECTION: Oct. 24, 2023

A previous version of this article included a misspelled name. All other content remains the same.