Simmons nursing student Leah Pearse dies at 20

“Students who were lucky enough to meet Leah can tell you just how remarkable she truly was. It’s hard to fit her charm into a few sentences, because it was really something felt instead of seen.”

Image from Driscoll Funeral Home & Cremation Service website.

Olivia Ray, Editor-in-Chief

Simmons junior Leah “Lee” Pearse died following an accident on January 6 while on vacation in Mexico, according to her obituary as well as an email from President Lynn Perry Wooten and Vice President of Student Affairs Renique Kersh.

Pearse’s visitation and memorial service were held at the Haverhill Country Club on January 13. 

According to her obituary, Pearse was a Nursing major and Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) who “tended to bring out the best in the people around her.”

Pearse was pursuing a 4+1 Master’s degree in Nursing and earned top grades while balancing her CNA job at Mass General Hospital and spending time with her many friends.

One such friend, Simmons junior and Nursing major Claire Fennelly said Pearse was “kind, hysterical, and always made everyone feel included.” 

Pearse was also a member of Simmons Hillel, known in the community for her positivity and dance moves, according to a Hillel Instagram post. The organization is holding a memorial gathering for Pearse on January 18 from 12-4 p.m. 

Beatrice Crocker, Simmons junior and one of Pearse’s close friends, told the Voice that “students who were lucky enough to meet Leah can tell you just how remarkable she truly was. It’s hard to fit her charm into a few sentences, because it was really something felt instead of seen. She was humble and kind and we will mourn that loss forever.” 

According to Lauren Brewster, a nursing major who also was close friends with Pearse, Pearse was a deep thinker and fiercely supportive of her friends. 

“She was the friend who reminded me that I would always have someone cheering me on,” said Brewster. “Above all, Leah is someone who is unforgettable, whether you met her once or a hundred times.”

Please note the following student and faculty resources:

Simmons Counseling Center:  The Counseling Center is open Monday-Friday 8:30-4:30 for in-person and telehealth counseling. If you need assistance after hours, you can call Simmons Public Safety at 617-521-1111 to be connected to additional support.

Student Assistance Program (SAP): This program provides professional support and access to free counseling 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Students can reach a counseling professional by calling 800-272-7255 or visiting the GuidanceResources® website and entering company ID: simmonssap.

Actively Moving Forward (AMF): Actively Moving Forward is a grief support program for young adults.

988 Suicide and Crisis Hotline: This number will connect callers with a local crisis center for confidential support.

UPDATE: The Simmons University Counseling Center announced gathering hours to support friends and others affected by Pearse’s death via email on January 16th. Students may join an in-person gathering on January 19 between 12 and 2 p.m. in room A-156 of the Main College Building, or via Zoom on January 19 at 7:30 p.m.