Album Review: Noah Kahan’s “Stick Season” is everywhere, everything

The prevalence of acoustic guitar in all fourteen tracks of the album gives it an around-the-campfire feel, while Kahan’s vocal maturity elevates the pieces to instant Alternative/Indie classics. 

“Stick Season” album cover.

Olivia Ray, Editor-in-Chief

New England-born singer-songwriter Noah Kahan released his highly anticipated third studio album, “Stick Season,” on October 14. The titular track set the internet on fire for its poignant description of being left behind in a relationship upon its release in July, skyrocketing Kahan onto the national stage ahead of the full album release. 

Kahan weaves a beautiful narrative of childhood nostalgia and yearning for what never was, with themes of forgiveness and gentleness with yourself throughout the whole album. 

Kahan sings “I’m in love with every song you’ve ever heard,” so earnestly in “Strawberry Wine” that sounds like falling in love in high school for the first time, remembering how tender it was to feel that deep stomach feeling of wholeness for the first time.

In “She Calls Me Back” Kahan sings that “everything’s alright when she calls me back,” playing on the themes of a slow heartbreak that make “Strawberry Wine” and “Stick Season” so affecting, showcasing Kahan’s ability to write from the heart. 

“Growing Sideways” and “Halloween” further display Kahan’s lyrical prowess, drawing on the profound pain and uncertainty of growing up and moving away. 

“Northern Attitude,” the second single released ahead of the full album, would make any New Englander proud of their roots, no matter how much they hate the cold. Kahan sings “I’m mean because I grew up in New England,” with such conviction in “Homesick,” another ode to being shaped by the White Mountains and the Patriots. 

The album somehow manages to capture the raw magnetism of a Mumford and Sons Red Rocks concert and the authenticity of a Keaton Henson song in the same breath. The prevalence of acoustic guitar in all fourteen tracks of the album gives it an around-the-campfire feel, while Kahan’s vocal maturity elevates the pieces to instant Alternative/Indie classics. 

His storytelling makes his own experiences almost indistinguishable from the listener’s –– “Everywhere, Everything” feels like slippered feet climbing the wooden rungs of the bunk bed you shared with your little brother. 

Whether you grew up in a tiny town in Vermont or in the middle of Union Square, Kahan’s latest will make you taste your hometown Dunkin and smell the freshly fallen leaves. Simply put, “Stick Season” is a triumph.