“Re-Assembling” and “Bound Together” showcase Simmons senior’s work

“I hope this is just the first of many collaborations [between the School of Social Work and the Trustman Gallery],” said Helen Popinchalk, Natarajan’s former art professor and curator of the gallery.

Artwork from the “Re-Assembling” series in the School of Management.

Olivia Ray, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Dix Scholar Abhilasha Natarajan delivered an artist talk about her independent study, “Re-Assembling” and her exhibition, “Bound Together” at the Trustman Gallery on the evening of November 17.  

Natarajan is a senior social work and studio art double major, who proposed the idea of an independent study last Spring inspired by a book-making course. 

Many creations in the “Bound Together” series were completed during the course and can be viewed in a glass case outside of the Trustman Gallery on the fourth floor of the Main College Building. 

“Re-Assembling” is a collaboration between the School of Social Work and the Trustman Art Gallery, and is displayed in the fourth-floor lobby of the School of Management Building.

Natarajan described the purpose of her independent study as a means to “put aside what I thought I knew, to put aside my thinking and my ideas about how to create art.”

“Re-Assembling” showcases a theme of connection and interaction with other artists. According to Natarajan, her art is “really the work of a small community making it all come together.”

Throughout the six weeks of the study, Natarajan explored techniques from collage making to scratch foam to trace monoprints, culminating with works of art combining various techniques and mediums.

Natarajan kept a reflective journal of the study to help her grow as an artist. Natarajan said that her independent study was well-timed, “especially since we were isolated for such a long time, how do we find joy?” 

To Natarajan, art is joy. “I can’t live without art like I can’t live without breathing,” she said. 

“Re-Assembling” and “Bound Together” will be on display in the School of Management and the Trustman Gallery until December 17.