Celebrate science in Cambridge

By Katherine Sittig-Boyd

The Cambridge Science Festival will be sweeping into town mid-April to stun everyone in the immediate vicinity with the power and passion inherent to science.

The purpose of the Festival is to promote enthusiasm and interest for science, technology, engineering, and (applied) mathematics (generally referred to by the more eloquent acronym STEAM).

The focus isn’t solely on STEAM fields; it includes events such as “Science Meets Art” and “Women in the Pipeline.”

This intersection of fields and critical cultural issues–such as the comparative shortage of women with STEAM-related doctorates–is equally important to any scientific discussion.

The festival will be taking place in various Cambridge locations from April 18-27. Many events are free, such as the free admission day on April 20, when visitors to the Harvard Museum of Natural Science and the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology can get in without paying admission fees.

Many events will be taking place at or around MIT, such as the “Making Molecules that Matter” public discussion on April 21, which will center on how to utilize new molecules for improvements in human health, among other topics.

Also on the 20, the MIT Museum will be hosting “Emotion: Movement and Meaning,” which focuses on the connection between kinetic sculpture, dance, and neuroscience.

On April 24, there will be a “High Speed Photography” event, inspecting the work of high-speed photographers, such as Harold Edgerton and Swiss photographer Fabian Oefner. The latter will be present at the event.

Also on April 24 will be a discussion about stem cells at Tufts University, as well as events “Dive into Oceanography” and “Undersea Robotics,” both at the MIT Museum.

Other notable events include the SciFest Block Party, taking place in Somerville on April 26 from 12-4 p.m., as well as the “Central Elements Open House,” which takes place the 27 at Central Square in Cambridge and explores what happens when scientists, artists, local businesses, and chemical elements are mixed, resulting in “some of the most inspiring art and music you’ll ever experience.”

The Cambridge Science Festival’s unique blend of science, community, and art is definitely a promising experience.

There is much more information, including a detailed schedule, on the festival’s website: cambridgesciencefestival.org.