New study questions Omega-3 benefits

By Briana Hayes

Standing belief is that a diet that contains a suitable amount of Omega-3s prevents heart disease, but a new study may show large an impact.

Omega-3 fatty acids are polyunsaturated fatty acids that have become an essential nutrient many medical professionals swear by.

It is important to consume food high in Omega-3s because our body is incapable of making these fatty acids.

They control blood clotting and build cell membranes with in the nervous system.

Omega-3s have become infamous as a way to avoid aliments such as autoimmune diseases, cancer, and heart disease.

Omega-3s are prevalent in fish and vegetables.

ALA is the type of Omega-3 that is present in vegetable oils, such as soybean oil, walnuts, and some green vegetables, including brussels sprouts, kale, and spinach.

EPA and DHA are the forms of Omega-3 fatty acid that are present in fatty fish such as salmon. When ALA enters the body it is converted partially to EPA and DHA, even though both types seems to be equally beneficial.

In addition, Omega-3s can also be consumed through a supplement. The supplements are usually oil-filled soft pills.

The recommended amount of daily intake of Omega-3 is 500 mg and supplements often use fish oil. A vegetarian friendly type utilizing the ALA also exist.

The major benefit of Omega-3 is that it is believed to maintain a healthy cardiovascular system by lowering triglycerides in the blood. Triglycerides are a type of fat that have been linked to blood clots and heart disease.

A new study, which was originally designed to look at the effects of Omega-3 supplements on the effect of vision in humans, split subjects into three groups.

One group took Omega-3 supplements, another took eye vitamins, and the third took a placebo.

The study lasted five years and about 450 subjects suffered a cardiovascular problem.

Between the group that took eye vitamins and the group who took Omega-3s, there was no difference who developed a heart problem.

Published on March 17th, 2014, in the JAMA Internal Medicine journal, this study has added to the growing belief that omega-3 supplementation has little effect on overall cardiovascular health.

In 2011, Omega-3 supplements sold more than $25 billion and was expected to increase by 15 percent every year.

The belief in Omega-3s and their contribution to a healthy heart was so strong, that even the little evidence that supported it was enough to make money off of the supplements.

Since Omega-3 fatty acids have the ability to reduce triglycerides they should only be considered for those with high triglyceride levels but not those who are trying to increase heart health.

This does not mean that food that is high in omega-3s, do not contain other benefits.

The protein, minerals, and vitamins still make these food items very healthy and beneficial to maintaining any healthy diet and lifestyle.

While omega-3s may not be the best bet to maintain healthy cardiovascular health, exercising following, a diet low in saturated fats, and keeping cholesterol under control are proven and effective ways to be heart healthy.