Eating Disorder Awareness Week

Briana Hayes

From Feb. 24, to March 2 2014, the National Eating Disorders Association spreads eating disorder awareness. This year’s theme is “I Had No Idea.” This theme is based on the fact that eating disorders are growing increasingly common and generally people are unaware of them. 

The National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA) is the leading non-profit organization in the United States advocating on behalf of and supporting individuals and families affected by eating disorders. 

According to NEDA, 20 million women and 10 million men have suffered from eating disorders.  

Eating disorders are catagorized as mental illnesses. In fact, anorexia has the highest mortality rate out of all mental illnesses. 

NEDA wants to confront these issues and allow access for treatment and improved funding for eating disorders. 

The purpose of NEDAwareness Week is ultimately to prevent eating disorders and body image issues while reducing the stigma surrounding eating disorders and improving access to treatment. They want people to understand the pressures, attitudes, and behaviors that shape the disorder. 

During this week, NEDA raises awareness with the help of volunteers, eating disorder professionals, health care providers, students, educators, social workers, and nutritionists.  

One main point that NEDA conveys is that eating disorders are not a lifestyle choice, but are serious illnesses. Eating disorders have quite a large range, including anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge eating disorder. 

Anorexia nervosa occurs when an individual restricts their food intake to unhealthy levels and they exhibit an intense fear of weight gain and obsession with weight.

Bulimia nervosa is when an individual consumes a large quantity of food and then purges. Binge eating disorder occurs when an individual experiences recurrent incidents of eating large amounts of food.  

When it comes to eating disorders, a common misbelief is that it is obvious and is apparent. However, the truth is that those suffering from eating disorders can fall into any weight category and have the propensity to hide their illnesses. 

Frequently obsessing over weight, food, or dieting; developing food rituals; maintaining an excessive exercise routine; and evidence of binge eating are signs of a possible eating disorder. 

Eating disorders are generally more common in women and that is frequently attributed to social media pressures. With the constant pressure of television, magazines, celebrities, and movies, women are exposed to ideas of how women “should” look. 

Eating disorders are a growing issue and should be taken seriously.