Laughing your way to fitness

Fit@Simmons has been offering Laughter Yoga classes every Wednesday at 7 p.m. Laughter Yoga is a new, revolutionary idea that classifies itself as a workout for one’s well-being.
It does not involve Latin dance moves or continuous repetitions of kicking and punching such as Zumba, but rhythmic breathing and continuous, contagious laughter.
Laughter Yoga combines unconditional laughter with yogic breathing (Pranayama). Laughter is simulated as a body exercise in a group. With eye contact and childlike playfulness, it soon turns into real and contagious laughter.
The concept of Laughter Yoga is based on a scientific fact that the body cannot differentiate between fake and real laughter. One gets the same physiological and psychological benefits from both.
Most of us believe that laughter is a reaction to humor but Laughter Yoga uses the idea that laughter can become a learnt behavior and therefore become programmed into the mind. Humor is a perception that is very specific to each person; what someone finds hysterical might not phase another.
The concept of unconditional laughter is what this exercise is focused around. In other words, laughing for no reason. Without the utilization of jokes, Laughter Yoga spreads like a cold, contagious as it jumps from one person another.
Another concept that helps to define Laughter Yoga is the deep connection between the body and mind. When the mind feels a certain way, the body reacts. For example, when someone is feeling tired the body is slow and sluggish.
Likewise, when you begin to laugh, you are bringing your mind into a state of happiness thus allowing your body to feel its effects. In order to achieve this connection, Laughter Yoga employs body movements, rhythmic breathing, chanting, clapping, and of course laughing.
Dr. Madan Kataria created this profound idea in 1995, when he initiated the first Laughter Club at a park in India. Kataria became interested in the effects of laughing after researching his theory “Laughter- The Best Medicine” for a health journal. As people watched him laugh with other participants the phenomenon quickly grew into what now adds up to 6000 Laughter Clubs in 60 countries.
Even though laughter is an act that most people do everyday, laughing has health benefits that go unnoticed. Laughter allows people to lighten up and feel free.
During laughter, there is a positive impact on the body’s vascular function; opposite to stress, laughter relaxes tension in the body.
This allows blood to flow more freely through the veins and arteries. Laughter creates a sense of joy and can make a bad day seem brighter. With a positive attitude, your mind and body are able to accomplish more deeds and keep focus.
Laughing as exercise might seem strange. Although you might not break a sweat, this is an exercise of different means. Health is the total well being of your body and that means your mind and attitude as well. Fit@Simmons offers Laughter Yoga as a way for people to laugh off their problems and have a positive outlook on life; all you need to bring is your smile.