Hot potatoes

By Briana Hayes

This Thanksgiving, without a doubt, people will be heaping mashed potatoes onto their plates.

In some houses, making mashed potatoes is a religion and family recipes are passed down from generation to generation. Some like their mashed potatoes extra creamy and others prefer a bit more texture. No matter how you like them, though, they are definitely a Thanksgiving tradition.

However, no matter how good they taste, the fact is that they are full of fat and simple carbohydrates from the butter and starchy potatoes.

Mashed potatoes are low in fat and calories, and provide a small amount of fiber, vitamins, and minerals.

Even though they are delicious, there are a variety of healthy alternatives.

The first alternative is a mash made with sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes. Sweet potatoes contain almost twice as much fiber as other types of potatoes.

Contributing close to seven grams of fiber per serving that is only the beginning of their health benefits.

They contain a large amount of vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 helps keep the walls of blood passageways flexible and healthy, which allows blood to flow freely.

Sweet potatoes also contain beta-carotene, also known as vitamin A. One medium sweet potato provides your body with the complete recommended daily allowance of vitamin A.

Vitamin A is beneficial to eyesight and is one of the most potent antioxidants out there.

Using a recipe similar to your favorite classic mashed potato one, swap out white potatoes for sweet potatoes and add some spices, such as cinnamon.

It will add great flavor and provide even more health benefits, such as an increase in metabolism. The bright orange color and the aroma will brighten up your table and leave a lasting, autumn-like scent.

If you are looking for a way to incorporate more vegetables into your Thanksgiving spread, consider ditching the potatoes altogether and going for a cauliflower mash.

With flavors such as garlic, onions, and the tanginess of Greek yogurt, mashed cauliflower can be a low in fat but still delectably creamy option.

Cauliflower is high in vitamin C, which is crucial this time of year to avoid pesky colds and other illnesses that tend to put a damper on the holidays.

Cauliflower also serves as a great detox vegetable and will help clear out your system after you eat until you just can’t anymore.

In addition, another delicious vegetable to give a shot is parsnips.

This fiber-rich root vegetable is chocked full of fiber that works hard to reduce cholesterol, and it’s rich in vitamin K, C, and folate.

Mash up a bowl of parsnips for supper by first roasting them until tender to bring put their nutty sweetness.

Place hot roasted parsnips in a blender, add a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of nutmeg and puree until smooth.

If you really cannot let go of the white potatoes, try using less butter and skim milk instead of cream. Greek yogurt can help add creaminess to your side dish.

The biggest thing to remember is that mashed potatoes should be a side dish, not the whole meal.

Try to switch it up this Thanksgivng and try a healthier option. It may be hard to pass on those fluffy white potatoes, but hey, maybe you will save some room for extra turkey.