Ask a Simmons nurse: Yearly doctor visits are one step to living a longer, healthier life

By Vanessa Poirier
Ask a Simmons Nurse

Q: The average life expectancy of an adult in the United States is 81.1 years according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Health prevention is key to a long life. My question for you is how frequently should you see your doctor?
A: According to the CDC, regular health exams and checkups should occur annually.

Seeing your doctor is a way to help find problems before they start. Also, they can help you find problems early, when your treatment and cure are better.
Being college students, we feel invincible against sickness, all-nighters, and drinking. Sometimes we like to take chances and do something new and exciting.

It’s normal to have little impulsivity in our lives, but your health and life should always be number one. Sickness can defeat all, regardless of age and gender.
Your primary care doctor is there to offer you health services, screenings, and treatments. Seeing your doctor annually is taking a step that will help your chances for living a longer, healthier life.

Your age, health, family history, and other lifestyle choices are important factors that impact what and how often you need healthcare. And annual check-ups are covered by your insurance, so why not go?

When you have your annual check-up they check your height, weight, blood pressure, diet, and overall health. They screen for an array of diseases such as high cholesterol, cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, HIV/AIDS, and, most importantly, make sure your immunizations are up-to-date.

Even if you are healthy it is still good to learn more about the natural changes of your body and health considerations you should change, adopt, or drop.

Where can you find a doctor? Visit the Health Center and ask for a recommendation for a primary care doctor or call your health insurance company for a list of doctors covered in your plan in your area. Also you can visit hospital specific websites and search for “Primary Care.”