Sharks beat JWU Wildcats in overtime

By Nafeesa Connolly

The Sharks Soccer team defeated the Johnson and Wales University Wildcats in overtime on Sunday, 2-1, during an afternoon Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) match-up.

The scoreboard stayed at 0-0 during the first half, with both teams unable to put the ball away. The Sharks greeted the second half with a goal from senior midfielder Kristyn Heuslein less than ten minutes in.

“We kept possession and had great pressure on the ball all over the field,” said Heuslein.

With six minutes to regulation, the Wildcats shot an equalizer, pushing the Sharks to overtime for the first time this season.

“I was not happy to give up a goal,” said Head Coach Erica Schuling. “We lost a little bit of focus and got sloppy.”

The Sharks got back on track during overtime with sophomore midfielder Ali Berkman scoring the game-winning point within 39 seconds.

“I am extremely proud that we were able to score in the first minute of overtime. A win is a win,” said Schuling.

“[It] was a good way to prove that not only can we score, but we can do it under pressure,” said senior forward and captain Desh Perera.

Perera said the Wildcats win and the Norwich University Cadets win, 3-1, on Wednesday, Oct. 2, were a boost for the team after a three-game losing streak against conference opponents Suffolk University and Emmanuel College, and non-conference opponent Wheaton College.

She added the team has been outplaying a majority of their opponents, but has struggled with putting the ball in the back of the net.

“There is a great sense of aggression, focus, and support from number one on our roster to number 30,” said Perera. “After [the] losing streak, we really came together to figure out what wasn’t working for us.”

Perera said the team’s chemistry and style of play are helping produce wins. This will fuel the Sharks as they take on their next seven matches, including a rematch against the Lasell College Lasers Wednesday (game results not available at time of print), who the Sharks lost to in the 2012 GNAC Championship.

“We will refocus and prepare for each,” said Schuling.

The Sharks take on the Albertus Magnus College Falcons on Saturday, Oct. 12, at 1 p.m. on home field.