BREAKING: Simmons changes undergraduate credit limits

Katie Cole, News Editor

BREAKING: Simmons changes undergraduate credit limit for the upcoming fall 2021 semester.

Simmons students will be able to take 22 credits worth of classes without a change to their tuition cost, according to an email from Deputy Provost and Dean of the Undergraduate Program, Catherine Paden. 

Currently, the credit cap for students sits at 18 credits per semester, with an additional cost to students for any credits that exceed the limit. The average class is four credits. 

“The goal of the policy is to offer more flexibility and the potential for students to complete course requirements faster than had previously been possible,” stated Paden in the March 8 email. 

Students who wish to use the “credit overload policy” must meet specific conditions. Students must have a cumulative GPA of over 2.8, be in good behavioral standing with the university and cannot have taken credit overloads in previous semesters.  Students must also have taken at least 32 credits prior to the fall 2021 semester in order to be eligible for the credit overload. The credit overload can only take credits over the normal cap for two semesters.

Students who wish to take advantage of the credit overload program must submit a petition signed by their advisor to the Registrar.