Apple rumored to remove headphone jack

By Nicole Allen

A cell phone with headphone jack still in place
Photo: William Hook / photo on flickr

Apple seems to really like making their customers mad. In recent reports, it was rumored that Apple will be removing the standard headphone jack from the iPhone 7.

Rather than plugging into old 3.5mm headphone jacks, iPhone users would have to switch either to wireless headphones or headphones that would connect to the phone via the lightning port—the connection port change that enraged users when Apple introduced it in 2012.

Many suspect that the reason Apple wants to remove the headphone jack is so their iPhones can be even thinner. San Francisco-based designer Matt Galligan thinks it might be for a different reason. “It’s all about internal space.” He offers, “Think about it… that jack at the end of your headphones has to go somewhere in the phone.”

Due to the length and internal space the jack takes up, the current iPhone screen would not be able to get any larger. With each new iPhone model we can see that screen size has always been a priority for Apple, so it’s not unreasonable to think this is why Apple would want to make the change.

Bluetooth products are pretty common nowadays and lightning headphones would provide a much better sound quality. The big issue comes down to users having to shell out another $25 or more for a new pair of headphones. Some lightning headphones can cost anywhere up to $800.

This rumor just further shows that when it comes to iPhones it’s Apple’s world and we’re all just living in it.