NaNoBoston: wrimos go where others fear to tread

By Katie Sittig-Boyd

This November, there are several group writing events all over Boston, put on by the Boston writing region.

Called “write-ins,” these events allow NaNoWriMo participants all over the city to come to a common place, work on their novels for a couple of hours, celebrate writers’ achievements, and share the common struggle of completing 50,000 words in a month.

The municipal liaisons of NaNoBoston host two write-ins per week: one on every Thursday night and one on Sunday afternoon. The locations vary but are generally at local libraries. Anyone participating in NaNoWriMo is welcome.

Generally, people show up to these events with writing supplies, including pens, pencils, paper, and trusty laptops.

Writers set their word count goals when they arrive at the event and can ring a small bell to announce that they have reached their ideal word count, which everyone will then celebrate by clapping briefly before returning to work.

Tonight, Nov. 5, there is a write-in at the Boston Public Library from 6:30-8:30 p.m. On Nov. 8, 2-4 p.m., there is a write-in at the Cambridge Public Library. These repeat weekly, with the exception of Thanksgiving, when everyone has a day off from writing.

There are also write-in events known as “satellite write-ins,” which are held by NaNoWriMo participants in Boston who are not municipal liaisons. All of these events are on the NaNoBoston calendar, which is accessible at nanoboston.org.

Whether it’s through weekend write-ins or late on weekday nights, there are plenty of ways to get involved.